In the most distant reaches of the world, magic still exists, embodied by spirits of the land, of the sky, and of every natural thing
Spirit Island is a complex and thematic cooperative game about defending your island home from colonizing Invaders. Players are different spirits of the land, each with its own unique elemental powers. Every turn, players simultaneously choose which of their power cards to play, paying energy to do so. Using combinations of power cards that match a spirit's elemental affinities can grant free bonus effects.
Faster powers take effect immediately, before the Invaders spread and ravage, but other magics are slower, requiring forethought and planning to use effectively. In the Spirit phase, spirits gain energy, and choose how / whether to Grow: to reclaim used power cards, to seek for new power, or to spread presence into new areas of the island.
The Invaders expand across the island map in a semi-predictable fashion. Each turn they explore into some lands (portions of the island); the next turn, they build in those lands, forming settlements and cities. The turn after that, they ravage there, bringing blight to the land and attacking any native islanders present.
The islanders fight back against the Invaders when attacked, and lend the spirits some other aid, but may not always do so exactly as you'd hoped. Some Powers work through the islanders, helping them (eg) drive out the Invaders or clean the land of blight.
- 8 different Spirits, each with 4 Power Cards unique to that Spirit
- Over 50 distinct Major and Minor Power Cards which Spirits can grow into
- 4 modular Island Boards, for a variety of layouts
- Over 100 pieces for representing the Invaders and Dahan (native islanders)
- 15 Invader cards, driving a distinctive Invader expansion system
- 15 Fear cards, showing what happens as you terrify the Invader
- 3 multi-tier Adversaries (specific Invaders) for play variety and fine-tuned challenge
- 4 optional Scenarios for even more play variety